The St Kilda Road Gallery, designed by Sir Roy Grounds, opened in 1968. and redesigned by Mario Bellini. The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia at Federation Square was designed by LAB Architecture Studio.
At the time when the gallery opened, Victoria was an independent colony for just ten years, but in the wake of the Victorian gold rush, it was easily the richest part of Australia, and Melbourne the largest city. Besides donations of works of art, donated funds from wealthy citizens have been used by the Gallery to purchase large collections of overseas works from both old and modern masters. The Gallery currently holds over 65,000 works of art.
The Felton Bequest, established by the will of Alfred Felton, has acquired and donated over 15,000 works of art to the Gallery. The National Gallery of Victoria Art School, associated with the gallery, was founded in 1867. It was the leading centre for academic art training in Australia until about 1910. The School’s graduates went on to become some of Australia’s most significant artists.
This post is part of the Our World Tuesday meme,
and also part of Toby's Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors meme.
|The imposing St Kilda Rd façade of the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne|
|The rather grand entranceway to the Gallery. Entry is free tot he Gallery, although a fee is usually charged for special exhibitions|
|The water windows at the Gallery entrance delight both young and old...|
|But especially so the young!|
|The Gallery has expansive spaces, many of which are brightly lit with natural light, as can be seen in the foyer area here|
|The sculptures of the figures visible here are English sculptor Antony Gormley's stainless steel 'Inside Australia' installation in the foyer of the Gallery|
|The Gallery shop on the Ground floor of the Gallery is a treasure of books on art, architecture, craft and related disciplines. As well as books, the shop sells catalogues, postcards, art, gifts and other art-related merchandise|
|The sculpture garden of the Gallery at its back end|
|Another view of the garden|
|Henry Moore's "Draped Seated Woman" of 1957-58, with a mosaic in the background, a recreation of Fernand Léger's "Grand Parade with red Background" made in 1985|
|There are several cafés and places to refresh oneself in the Gallery. Here is the very cosy first floor "Tea Room"|
|A detail of the "Triptych with the miracles of Christ"|
|"Triptych of the Virgin and Child with Saints" - Cologne School, c.1510-20|
|Detail of "Triptych of the Virgin and Child with Saints"|
|The Rembrandt Cabinet|
|Detail of "The Two Philosophers" (1628) by Rembrandt|
|One of the 16th-17th century galleries|
|Giambattista Tiepolo's "The Finding of Moses" (1740-1745)|
|Giambattista Tiepolo's stunning "The Banquet of Cleopatra" (1743–44)|
|A 17th-18th century gallery|
|One of the 19th century galleries|
|Pierre Puvis de Chavannes' enormous cartoon of "St Geneviève Ravitaillant Paris Assiégé" (1897-1898)|
|Another of the 19th century galleries decorated in the salon style typical of the early to mid-19th century|
|James Tissot's "An Interesting Story" (1872)|
|Claude Monet's "Vétheuil" (1879)|
|Frederick McCubbin's "Lost" (1907)|
|Paul Nash's "Landscape of the Summer Solstice" (1943)|