Wednesday 29 June 2016

YAMS

Yam is the common name for some plant species in the genus Dioscorea (family Dioscoreaceae) that form edible tubers. These are perennial herbaceous vines cultivated for the consumption of their starchy tubers in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Oceania. There are many cultivars of yam.

Although some varieties of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) are also called yam in parts of the United States and Canada, sweet potato is not part of the family Dioscoreaceae but belongs in the unrelated morning glory family Convolvulaceae. If you are unsure as to whether you are eating yams or sweet potatoes use the key in the last illustration to determine what you have!

This post is part of the Wordless Wednesday meme,
and also part of the ABC Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Food Friday meme.





6 comments:

  1. yummieeeeee i love them with sour cream and bacon

    Have a nice abcwednes-day / – week
    ♫ M e l d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-18-y/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard the words "yam" and "sweet potato" used interchangeably. Thanks for clarifying - I learned something today. I don't believe I've ever had yams!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/06/lovely-san-juan.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words are indeed interchangeable in the US but I really like Sweet Potato Hash Browns no matter what they are called!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I loved Yams and I thought I loved Sweet Potatoes then I thought
    they were one and the same, but now I learn they are not.
    Therefore I only eat yams and I just love them !
    Thank you for putting this matter to rights,
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete