Monday 10 October 2016

CORNFLOWER

Centaurea cyanus, commonly known as cornflower, is an annual flowering plant in the family Asteraceae, native to Europe. In the past it often grew as a weed in cornfields (in the broad sense of the word "corn", referring to grains, such as wheat, barley, rye, or oats), hence its name. It is now endangered in its native habitat by agricultural intensification, particularly over-use of herbicides, destroying its habitat; in the United Kingdom it has declined from 264 sites to just 3 sites in the last 50 years.

In reaction to this, the conservation charity Plantlife named it as one of 101 species it would actively work to bring 'Back from the Brink'.  It is also, however, through introduction as an ornamental plant in gardens and a seed contaminant in crop seeds, now naturalised in many other parts of the world, including North America and parts of Australia.

This post is part of the Blue Monday meme,
and also part of the Macro Monday meme,
and also part of the Through my Lens meme,
and also part of the Seasons meme.

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous flower. Wish they grew in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful blue field of flowers. Wow! Striking! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my favorite spring blooms that start early and stay a long time. I had no idea they were endangered anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Nick, The cornflower is so pretty and I am glad they are attempting to save this species. The photo is very good. When I take photos in a field of flowers, I try to focus on some closeup with the field in the back ground like the photo you shared.

    Have a great week.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. These stark blue corn flowers are beautiful! I know they grow here, but actually have never seen them. Many thanks for sharing this beauty with SEASONS -much appreciated, and have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the intensity of the cornflower's blue. I'm going to see if I can grow them in my area. Hope they don't need too much water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cornflowers were the first blue flowers I'd ever seen--planted in the medians of the highways in Michigan. I wondered where they'd been all my life! I'm glad to hear their numbers are recovering.

    ReplyDelete